Course Code: 001
Transportation Engineering is the application of technology and scientific principles to the planning, functional design, operation and management of facilities for any mode of transportation in order to provide for the safe, rapid, comfortable, convenient, economical, and environmentally compatible movement of people and goods (transport). It is a sub-discipline of civil engineering. Transportation engineering is a major component of the civil engineering discipline.
Transportation planners and engineers recognize the fact that transportation systems constitute a potent force in shaping the course of regional development. This profession carries a distinct societal responsibility. Planning and development of transportation facilities generally raises living standards and enhances the aggregate of community values. The primary objective of the Department is to produce young engineers, who would be committed to their profession with ethics, who will be able to contribute to the society and become successful in their career.
Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belguam.
1) The course belongs to an emerging area of technical education, which is crucial to the infrastructure development of the country, and, it holds national priority.
2) To bring innovation and excellence in teaching and research in Transportation Engineering.
3) To impart Post Graduate education to students for employment opportunities in Transportation Engineering sector.
4) To serve the Industry, Govt. and other organizations which are possible beneficiaries of the proposed course by absorbing trained manpower in Transportation Engineering sector.
5) Transportation projects create some measure of ecological / environmental / atmospheric imbalances. The course will attempt to actively monitor the levels of major transportation pollutants present in air, noise and environment; and strive to work out its abatement measures/strategies.
6) The course will add to societal education (usage procedures, signals, do’s and do not’s of transportation means), encourage and conduct research and teaching for application and popularization of the technology output.
- Traffic Engineering
- Transport Planning
- Ground Improvement Techniques
- Pavement Materials and Construction
- Analysis , Design and Evaluation of Pavements
- Construction Economics
- Road Safety and Management
- Rural Roads
- Transportation Systems
- Transportation Structures
- Transportation Network, Analysis and Optimization
- CAD in Transportation Engineering
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- GIS for Transportation Planning
- Geometric Design of Transportation Facilities
- Road Transport Management and Economics
- Urban Mass Transport Systems
- Computer Simulation Applications in Transportation Engineering
- Department Library
- Industrial Visits
- Certified Courses
- Surveying Practice Laboratory
- Computer Aided Design Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab
- Concrete and Highway Material Lab
Admission to M.Tech. Course shall be open to the candidates who have passed the prescribed qualifying examinations with not less than 50% of the marks in the aggregate of all the years of the degree examinations. However, in the case of candidates belonging to SC/ST and Group I, the aggregate percentage of marks in the qualifying examinations shall not be less than 45%.
B. E. / B. Tech. in Civil Engineering / Transportation Engineering or equivalent degree.
The candidate should have appeared and qualified in GATE or PGCET entrance examinations.
Dr. Ramalinga Reddy
Phone: +91-80-65687563/64/65- Ext no: 189